Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Steps for Administering a Intramuscular Injection:
Procedure for administering intramuscular injection:
1. Review the order and check patient allergies.
2. Wash hands and put gloves on.
3. Identify the patient (remember six rights).
4. Position patient and locate site using appropriate anatomical landmarks.
5. Wipe site with alcohol in a circular motion to cleanse, allow to dry.
6. Spread skin taut and insert needle at a 90 degree angle.
7. Aspirate and observe for blood in syringe. If blood appears remove and
8. Inject medication slowly, remove needle quickly and gently apply
pressure to site with dry 2x2 gauze.